The Ultimate List of The Best Family Travel Websites, Blogs, Podcasts and Forums
This is my list of the very best family travel blogs, resources and websites from around the globe.
It’s the wild, wild west out there and getting to the very best information is often painful. But each of these sites are chock-full of the very best information for those of us who are smart enough to know that the best information usually isn’t found in guidebooks. Especially for families.
Finding Around The World Family Resources Fast
- yTravelBlog – This is a wonderful family travel blog that is also great if you are traveling to Australia.
- Nomadlist – This site has spectacular resources for long term travelers looking to work abroad.
- A Little Adrift Travel Planning Resources Page: I love this resource and the simplicity of this site which makes it a real gem!
- Nomadic Matt: I know what you are thinking, this isn’t a family website! But it doesn’t matter, Matt has some of the very best resource pages on the internet, linking you with family friendly budget travel recommendations that will make your travels better. Check it out and I know you will sign up for his email list.
- Soul Travelers 3 – Made famous after being featured in the 4-Hour Workweek (and also from my home town!) This family of “digital nomads” began their journey of extended world travel in 2006, when their daughter was five years old. She has been homeschooled all over the globe and, with piano lessons via Skype, online classes, and regular adventures in places like the Sahara, is the poster-child for nontraditional education. This family’s blog is truly a tribute to their lifestyle—which may seem daunting to some, and romantic or fantastic to others.
- Family On Bikes: The Vogel family rode their bicycles 17,285 miles from Alaska to Argentina. After making the decision to grab life by the horns and steer it their own way, the Vogel family spent nearly three years pedaling southward. Now, their goal is to inspire and encourage others to do the same. Watch her TED talk If you really want a shot of inspiration into your left deltoid.
Too Many Adapters – This site is my go to guide when I need to make a technology decisions. No more wasting time browsing review sites. Seriously these guys have the best info out there and if you go with any of their recommendations you will be happy with your purchase.
The “Nomadic Craze”
- The Nomadic Family – Good tips from a family who is actually putting their money where there mouth is! Fun site to explore and get inspired.
- Nomadic Matt – This is not a family travel blog but his info and guides have been invaluable in helping plan our family travel adventure.
- Nomadic Samuel – Another great chip of the “Nomadic” block. Young and kid free travel advice but chalk full of great advice and country specific guides.
Giving Back and Volunteering
- A Little Adrift – Wonderful resources for volunteering abroad – she even started a wonderful website (see the next link below) and a book. I plan on spending more time here in the future.
- Grassroots Volunteering – Find places to volunteer – short term, long term, medical, farming – you name it is all here!
- Big Brother Mouse in Laos – A reading program designed to get books into the hands of kids in rural Laos. Can’t wait to volunteer here!
- TravelFish.org – Thank God I found this site before traveling to Southeast Asia. This site is maintained by a passionate group of real world on the ground travelers and should be anyone’s first stop for travel needs when traveling in Southeast Asia. Check it out and you will know what I mean!
Enjoyable to Read
- Never Ending Footsteps Full-time traveler. Freelance writer. Southeast Asia fanatic. Attractor of bad luck, conqueror of anxiety but still frightened of everything
Budget Fun for Families
- World Family Travel – This site is extremely informative almost deceptively so. It is hard to find good budget family travel advice for normal people but WFT has really helped us to plan our trip. Definitely check it out.
- Family on Bikes – The Vogel family and their blog is full of great adventures and great reads (don’t be fooled by the lack of good design) I love their inspiring newsletter.
- VagabondFamily.org – is built for parents or soon to be parents who want something different for themselves and their children. They take and compile articles made by families traveling all over the world. Great site!
Family Travel Forums
- Lonely Planet’s Kids to – Go A very useful online family-travel message board.
- Boostnall Traveling with Children forum – An online message board where family travelers can ask questions and share information
Traveling Families – Outdated Blogs but Evergreen Content
- With Two Kids in Tow – Some outdated but evergreen content on south east asia travel for families.
- Great Family Escape – Outdated, but has some really great simple to follow resources.
Vagadonding.net – by Rolf Pott’s – If you haven’t read his book by the same title you are missing out on probably the greatest travel book ever written. His site is minimalist but his resources page is wonderful and he keeps it updated.
The Tropical MBA – This site “helps people build profitable location independent businesses, and meet with others who are doing the same.”