Just Do It – Stop Making Excuses and Start Traveling
Don’t over think everything. Don’t over plan. Go with the flow. Stop Making Excuses!
How to Plan Your Dream Trip, Step-by-Step
- Decide where you’re going and. Be specific.
- Decide how long you are going to stay. Be specific.
- Research your costs. Estimate total, then round up.
- Find the right amount of money for your trip.
- Do research.
- Create a budget based on your top priorities.
- Add a cushion. (Add an extra 25% of your total budget.)
- Think about how much you spend at home.
- Start saving money.
- Get a travel credit card.
- Check for last-minute deals.
- Book your flight.
- Book your accommodation.
- Plan your activities.
- Sell your stuff.
- Automate your bills.
- Tell your credit card companies and banks that you’re leaving.
- Pack light.
- Just go!
Travel doesn’t need to be somewhere really far away, start small by going just somewhere different from your daily life.
- Try weekend trips!
- Explore your own city!
There is always time to travel.
- There is no perfect time to travel. JUST GO.
- Tomorrow, there will still be bills to pay. Tomorrow, there still won’t be enough money. Tomorrow, there will still be a wedding or a birthday party to miss. Tomorrow, there will still be planning to do. Tomorrow your kids will be too old.
- Stop making excuses. Start traveling.
- The secret to traveling more is simply the desire to travel more.
- Figure out your priorities. Figure out what you want to do. Then do it.
How to Make Friends Overseas
- Couchsurfing, Couchsurfing, Couchsurfing!!!
- Go to groups, meetups, and events
- Stay in hostels.
- Go to events, tours, etc.
- Talk to the people in your room
- Use Meetup.com to find locals with similar interests.
- Dine with locals: EatWith is a good resource.
- Say hello to strangers. Just take the leap.
Dealing with Unsupportive Friends and Family
- Don’t let other people’s fears discourage you.
- Tell them: everywhere is unsafe, I am more likely to die on my commute, you can do this, lots of people travel as families, this makes you happy and in turn makes the family better and stronger.
- Stay connected online.
- You can’t wait for your friends. JUST GO.
- You aren’t the first family to do this
- You made it this far.
- You are just as capable.
- You will make friends and meet amazing people.
- You can always go home.